Friday, February 21, 2020

Why a Short Film and its Conventions...

Bonjour,
I hope everyone is doing well!

 For this years portfolio project, I would like to tackle the short film out of all of the options offered.
Why a short film?
At first it was so that I could submit it to colleges...however, at the time I didn't realize that the deadline for the submissions were so early in the year.
On that note, I did create a short film and submitted it to a few of the colleges. This exposed me to the short film world and I really liked what I saw. I liked that it could be more expressive and artistic than a typical film.
I began to look into short films and even attended the short film festival in Miami called " Nothing short of Epic" ( This play on words made me happy). Here I got to see a sample of what people in this field were working on and the techniques they were using. I loved everything screened but the one that really stuck with me was actually the winner called "Atlas". I thought this was a vey funny and creative film.  Like this director and like I said in my first blog posting, I want to make something that makes people smile.


so know that I have established exactly why I want to do a short film, I think its important that I establish and understand the Codes and conventions.

Storylines

- are kept simple and easy to follow and will be based over a short period of time. It will have limited dialogue....Instead characters will be developed through images and actions.

Character

-a short film will usually introduce between 1 and 3 main characters as creating back stories and developing characters is limited. This is done to keep the audience engaged and be able to follow the storyline.

Twist

-Including a twist is a common convention in short film although this is not a general rule and not all short films will use this format.  It  allows the film maker to tell a short story in an interesting way... easy to achieve as short storyline gives less clues to the ending.

Creativity

-short films allow for much more creativity and abstraction. They are made up of a number of creative shots and soundtrack making up an artistic piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is it :( My CCR